Our New Vision
TrainRiders Northeast brought the Downeaster to Portland, ME in 2001 and Brunswick ME in 2012. Our New Vision: An across the platform, Amtrak connection at Boston’s North Station, serving Worcester, Springfield, Hartford, New Haven & New York’s Penn Station. Our continued success depends on your donation. Use our PayPal button to help us reach this goal. Many thanks for your continued support. Wayne Davis, Chairman
News relating to NNEPRA - primarily summaries of their board meetings.
Amtrak Downeaster Service Temporarily Suspended Through May 31st
- Created: 30 April 2020 30 April 2020
Amtrak Downeaster service is temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 and associated travel-related restrictions. The suspension will remain in effect through at least May 31, 2020. Please check back for updates.
We are working closely with our station community partners and Amtrak to protect the health and safety of our passengers and crews when service returns.
- Train equipment used in Downeaster service has been sanitized, and Amtrak has implemented enhanced cleaning protocols to ensure that the equipment will be disinfected daily once Downeaster service resumes.
- Although Downeaster stations in Maine and NH are currently closed, stations are being equipped with information and resources consistent with social and physical distancing guidelines set forth by the CDC prior to re-opening. During this closure, stations are being thoroughly cleaned in preparation for reopening.
- When service returns, the number of passengers per coach will be limited to support the social and physical distancing guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- We are using this time of suspended service to complete various track projects. Many had been scheduled later in the year and would have required service interruptions. By getting them done now, it will enable us to operate an even more reliable service when we return.
Ticket Refunds & Cancellations
Amtrak is waiving change fees for reservations made before May 31, 2020. To modify a reservation, log in to your account, go to ‘Modify Trip’ on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation with no fee, you must call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak with an agent (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).
For more information visit: https://www.amtrak.com/coronavirus
NNEPRA Open House Shares Downeaster Planning Proposals
- Created: 23 October 2019 23 October 2019
The NNEPRA Open House, held yesterday in Portland, successfully brought together rail advocates and the public to hear an in-depth briefing by Executive Director Patricia Quinn about proposed Downeaster service enhancements.
- Wells track improvements
- Inbound morning service from Wells to Portland and Brunswick
- New location for Portland train station
- New station in West Falmouth
- New service between Westbrook & Portland
- Lewiston-Auburn service
Again, these are proposals that NNEPRA is actively pursuing.
Unable to attend? Here's her presentation.
This was a well-organized gathering with color-coded dots for the attendees to express their passenger rail preferences. They gathered at tables...
NNEPRA Open House!
- Created: 16 October 2019 16 October 2019
NNEPRA is holding an Open House on Tuesday, October 22nd at 4:30 PM. Executive Director Patricia Quinn will brief on expansion proposals for the Downeaster. It will be held at 20 Mrytle Street in Portland. Input from attendees is encouraged.
NNEPRA Annual Meeting Celebrates FY2018
- Created: 30 October 2018 30 October 2018
The NNEPRA Annual Meeting was filled with the sweet smell of success.
New records were set in FY18 - Ridership (7.7% more than FY17) ticket revenue (18.9% more than FY17) and passenger miles (10.7% more than FY17).
Nine months of FY18 set new ridership records.
The Downeaster maintained one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the country in FY18 at 90%.
Kennebunk Cancels Planned Downeaster Stop!
- Created: 10 October 2018 10 October 2018
...from SeacoastOnline.com by Donna Buttarattzi
KENNEBUNK -- The Board of Selectmen voted Tuesday to pull the plug on plans for an Amtrak Downeaster station that would have brought passenger rail service to downtown Kennebunk.
Four years after voters approved $300,000 for a seasonal train stop in town, the board voted unanimously Tuesday to officially halt the plans that appeared to be close to coming to fruition just a few weeks ago.
Board Chairman Dick Morin read a statement from the board saying, “As we narrowed the conversation regarding the details of the project with regard to things such as renting versus owning and space availability for parking and restrooms, it became more apparent that this location, with its significant limitations, presented a situation that would make us losers if it won, meaning if it was successful, and losers if the project failed at that location.”
More Articles ...
Summaries of NNEPRA's monthly board meetings